BPM (Business Process Management) is a discipline to analyze, design, implement, control and continuously improve processes.
This approach includes strategies, objectives, culture, organizational structures, roles, policies, methods and IT tools to enable the organization to be managed through processes.
The processes are identified , documented , driven and optimized in order to increase their efficiency (best results at the best cost), agility (capacity for self-organization and adaptation), and robustness.
Through BPM, processes can be aligned with the business strategy of the organization.
With a process-centric management approach, the organization enables a continuous improvement of the process execution. Here we talk here about BPM cycle or process life cycle.
There are 5 key activities for process continuous improvement.
- Modeling, which means documenting and visually representing a process model. It is the basis of the following activities but it is also a real opportunity to document and capitalize on the practical knowledge and know-how of the organization by clarifying the roles and responsibilities of the collaborators.
- Analyzing, which is about understanding and evaluating the performance of a process based on relevance, effectiveness and efficiency.
- Optimizing or transforming to make changes in the process.
- Implementing the improved process in the organization and its information system.
- And finally driving the process by monitoring the execution and following the intended results.
Management should make it possible to detect any problems related to the performance of the process in terms of objectives, compliance, time spent, actors involved and value created.
This then leads to a new analysis and optimization.
To ensure convergence between performance objectives, stakeholder expectations and company strategy, it is therefore important to regularly monitor process performance through indicators .
Compared to the objectives, these indicators make it possible to analyze any deviations or potential dysfunctions.
In such a case, the operational managers can act on the short or long term.
In the short term, one option is to reallocate the resources. For example, they can assign more people on a specific action in the process.
Long-term management is about improving or even transforming the process structure itself.
For both short term and long term, process management is ideally performed with a business process management IT solution.
- Geeers enables you to document all your business processes and to deploy them instantly in your organization.
- Access your analytics dashboard to drive the processes and analyze their execution performance.
- Use the versioning feature to continuously improve your processes.